This morning around 930am I was making my way to work...driving, singing, (not talking on the phone!!), and enjoying another sunny day to live in thanksgiving for God's grace all around me! As I was in my own little world (still recognizing stop lights!) I started to tear up...For some reason unknown to me I started thinking about Dahlonega...more speficially 45 Highland Road S, Dahlonega, GA! Home of the Rentz's! From the front porch, the basketball goal, the fish pond, the junk drawer, the sun porch, the laundry room, the twins room (that was often a hotel, a resturant, a school room, and much more), our girls bathroom with our pretend slip and slide! Memories kept flashing before me...hitting a soft ball and almost taking out an upstairs window...trampoline routines for mom and dad...planting flowers over and over again in front ofthe garage...fish sticks and shell mac and cheese at the bar...the shelves dad put in the laundry room in attempt to organize all us girls...and so many more! I realized that as I get older I am more grateful for the little things! It is my past that allows me to embrace the present with gratitude! A past that built me, encouraged me...and yes most of it took place on 45 highland road south in good ole sky country! It is true that faith formation starts in the home...life formation starts in the home as well! Goodness I can't believe I am saying that!!!! The more I grow as a person, as a wife, as a friend, as a sister, as a daughter, as a disciple I notice that what I believe, what I hold true, what I aspire to be...it all started with a goodnight kiss from dad, a long laundry room talk with mom, a night of catching fire flies with my sisters....The more I serve in the church and get to know young peoples stories and share in their faith journey, the more my faith journey is made apparent to me! From Ms. Mary in Sunday school, to Frank, to Mrs. Green in 8th grade, Rhubarb, Michelle, Big John all loving me, from my family, my parents, my sisters looking up to me, to Ann Stidham at Presbyterian College and Jeri in Hartsville...My faith journey has been molded by incredible people and it all started in the Home that built me!!!
This past week Robert and I were able to take some time to celebrate our First Anniversary (that was back in March!). We went to Wilson and gathered to break bread around the table with the Lane family! I love seeing the Home that built Robert! His parents who provided a foundation of love and affirmation! What a blessing! Then we journeyed to Morehead City where Robert was able to show me where he spent many days on the beach and the resturants he enjoyed growing up! It was such a gift to hear his stories about memories he carries! We even went fishing with his High school principal!
So the song, "the House that built me," I like it...its a little cheesy..but i do like it...I would just change it up a bit...I am not broken but am constantly being shaped, molded, and reconstructed by The Potter! Thank goodness we are the clay!
May we always remember where we came from, may we always embrace TODAY, may we always pray for our future! Thank you Lord Jesus for the Home that continues to Build me!
I love that song! It is such a good reminder of where we come from...love the post. You look beautiful BTW!
ReplyDeleteI like that song, too. Except the part about the dog being buried in the backyard. Then I think about all the hamsters, birds, cats, dogs, and fish (yes, I buried my fish) in my parents backyard and I can't help but laugh. See you soon!
ReplyDelete