Images of time spent in Montreat run through my mind like a slide show capturing God moments throughout my journey of life! I can remember the first time I came to Montreat with Dahlonega Presbyterian Church! I can remember Frank saying, “Neeleybird, you have got to go to Montreat.” From that day, I haven’t been able to stay away from this holy place! Youth Conferences as a teen, youth conference as a leader for First Presbyterian Church of Hartsville, Youth conferences as a planning team, youth conferences as a Director, Montreat for College Conference, Annual Recreation Workshop, and leading Church retreats…Montreat has molded and shaped my faith in a variety of ways. God has challenged me through innovative worship experiences, dynamic small group conversations, experiential learning, deep theological conversations and questions, and an extended family to affirm my gifts and God’s calling on my life. The spirit of Montreat is a contagious laugh, a hug from a long time friend, a walk around the lake, an auditorium full of young people singing “Glory Alleluia”; Montreat is a place I call home!
Last night while in Montreat, snow started to fall! Snowflakes christened the ground and trees became fluffy white! I cherish snow…the purity of it as it falls and covers the earth. My favorite thing about snow is that it sparks memories of snow days in Dahonega on 45 Highland Road! My sisters and I would tumble down the hill in our back yard while dad videoed us and mom yelled “girls, be careful!” We would make snow angels out front in the yard and eat the snow like it was a “snow cone” (we even put food coloring in the snow one time!!!). One snow was rough in Dahlonega, blizzard of 98, I believe. We, all 6 of us, were stuck in the basement! Nightmare…not quite! I loved it! We cooked on the wood burning stove; we played cards; we laughed; we performed our latest cheerleading routine -- I believe we experienced God in that Sabbath time of being still and totally present with each other. That is what I love about snow! Snow slows us down! God says, “Look around you at the beauty and purity of snowflakes and be still!” I also remember snow days at Presbyterian College! We would play out in front of GDH; we would ice skate on the back of KA fraternity house porch; all precious memories of my PC family laughing and spending time with one another! I can also remember the first snow Robert and I experienced together!! We were in Hartsville and he came over to my place on Barefoot. We laughed and watched Bailey jump around in this foreign white stuff! Bailey put a smile on our face and have no fear we took pictures! Snow is a beautiful thing! Thank you God for the snow I saw falling last night that sparked such sacred memories of God moments in my life today and yesterday and I am excited about the snow to come!
I love reading your thoughts - you are able to paint such a vivid picture and it's beautiful to think about all those memories! I hope you have had a very blessed week and I cannot wait to hear more! I love you!!
ReplyDeleteYay for Montreat! Maybe one day I'll live in a place where it snows :)
ReplyDelete